Since I still have time, I thought I’d start another, more intricate quilt. Sometimes sewing squares gets a bit boring. Enter “Star Blossoms” by Bonnie Olaveson of the fabulous Bonnie & Camille team. However, I’ll be using Flora fabric by Lauren + Jessi Jung. Gee, lots of Mother and daughter teams!
This is going to be another one of those quilts that takes a few days just to cut the fabric, so many little pieces not quite as many as my beloved Parcheesie quilt!
Still no news on my Grace Start-Right queen quilt frame and Juki TL-2000Qi, I’ll continue to keep you posted.
Other than that, nothing else is new. What are you working on?
I sewed a number of things last week including bibs for a friend’s baby and a little lavender sachet but nothing big.
This past weekend I singed up for the Craftsy class, Design It, Quilt It: Free Form Techniques with instructor, Cindy Needham. This is an excellent class and Cindy is a great teacher if you want to learn detailed and heirloom free motion quilting.
I used my Easy jellyroll star orphan block since the corners were pieced in Kona snow in error, as practice. I used glass bowls to create the arc designs and drew 1/2″ grids in the corners. Deciding which pattern goes where is a hard decision, you never know what it’s really going to look like until it’s complete and if you don’t like it, too bad. I used Aurifil 50wt thread for the piecing and quilting, it’s the finest I have. Gutermann 50wt is just too thick.
Click any image to enlarge.
Feathers and Pebbles
It is tedious but rewarding but I managed to quilt all of this by noon, walked the dog and got on the treadmill.
Click photos to enlarge.
Hanging out in the garden.
Chillin’ on the deck.
I can’t believe I’m done!
Available in my Etsy shop.
What was I thinking when I added a border to the back of the quilt which echoed the front? Oh yeah, I WASN’T (thinking)!! I love the back but I opened a whole can of worms on myself.
Why you ask? Well, I created a row of chevrons on the back of the quilt which echo a row of chevrons on the front. I also added those lovely crisp, white boders on the top and botton of the quilt back which also match up with the front. This creates a problem when free motion quilting because unless the front and back are lined up perfectly, the free motion quilting wouldn’t look right on the back of the quilt.
Earlier today I based the front to the back and began to stitch up one of the chevron that line up with one of the front chevrons using my walking foot but quickly realized half way up one seam that it was off so I took out the sewing and HAND STITCHED up the chevrons to make sure they matched the front. Then I hand stitched the top and bottom borders to make sure the front and back matched. FYI, my hand stitches are small, not microscopic but small enough that I went through FOUR movies while I completed this task. After all that stitching I pin basted and am ready to start free motion quilting tomorrow.
I find it really exciting when a quilt top starts to become a quilt, I love this design and can’t wait to see it all finished. What a labour of love! I’m sorry if there are any typos or grammatical errors in this post, I’m exhausted!
Man oh man, memba this?
Well, I finally finished it! I had originally started quilting fans on my domestic machine but found it too difficult and figured it best left to the long arm quilters. So, this week I spent two evenings unpicking all the quilting I’d done. I wasn’t really sure how I would quilt this, I love the fabrics and didn’t want to detract from them so I thought I’d just keep it simple.
I used Camille’s Jellybean quilt pattern with Patty Sloniger’s Backyard Baby fabric, so cute and perfect for a boy!
My friend Linda is now expecting but she’s decided not to find out the sex of her baby however, I’m going to go ahead and make the In Reverse quilt pattern by Frivolous Necessity using a mixture of Ruby, Vintage Modern and Marmalade by Bonnie & Camille. If she has a boy, I’ll just have to make something else!
See you tomorrow with yet another new hair style!