Free motion quilting marathon

I finally packed it in at 6:30 p.m. after an all day marathon. The basting paid off, I’m super happy with the back of the quilt as well as the front.

Free Motion Quilting

Click to enlarge.

So far this project has eaten an entire spool of Aurifil 50wt thread (piecing & free motion quilting), I don’t know how many times I changed the bobbin, I lost count. I also broke one needle when the thread got stuck.

No doubt I’ll sleep like a rock tonight, I’m bushed! How was your day??

Can-O-Worms

What was I thinking when I added a border to the back of the quilt which echoed the front? Oh yeah, I WASN’T (thinking)!! I love the back but I opened a whole can of worms on myself.

 

Why you ask? Well, I created a row of chevrons on the back of the quilt which echo a row of chevrons on the front. I also added those lovely crisp, white boders on the top and botton of the quilt back which also match up with the front. This creates a problem when free motion quilting because unless the front and back are lined up perfectly, the free motion quilting wouldn’t look right on the back of the quilt.

Earlier today I based the front to the back and began to stitch up one of the chevron that line up with one of the front chevrons using my walking foot but quickly realized half way up one seam that it was off so I took out the sewing and HAND STITCHED up the chevrons to make sure they matched the front. Then I hand stitched the top and bottom borders to make sure the front and back matched. FYI, my hand stitches are small, not microscopic but small enough that I went through FOUR movies while I completed this task. After all that stitching I pin basted and am ready to start free motion quilting tomorrow.

I find it really exciting when a quilt top starts to become a quilt, I love this design and can’t wait to see it all finished. What a labour of love! I’m sorry if there are any typos or grammatical errors in this post, I’m exhausted!

 

 

Lonestar Crazy

I started my day free motion quilting but by 10:00 a.m., I was slicing up more Vintage Modern jellyroll strips to make another lonestar block. This is not a quick block to make but very satisfying, I find the process oddly addictive.

(Click image to enlarge.)

When I chose the fabrics, this is how I envisioned it though I did experiment with the circular fabric in the centre.

One little mishap that is happening less frequently the more I make this block is this little offset, it drives me a little nuts, especially if it’s 1/4″ or more.

So back to free motion quilting, something I haven’t done in a long while! It was fun to get back into it and although rusty and jerky, I had fun and am ready for more.

Have a great weekend!

Week End

Aside

Yesterday I was going to write a post entitled something like “Quilting Fail” but it really wasn’t a fail, I was just running out of steam.

I put together the quilt back for my Backyard Jellybean quilt and started quilting it. I have to admit, I love piecing and quilting small, manageable items but I’m not so big on quilting anything larger. Having to wrestle the quilt back and forth through the throat of the machine really doesn’t put a song in my heart.

I also sewed together a bunch of little triangle scraps from my Backyard Baby fabric and made a mug rug to practice free motion quilting on and broke a needle on one of the very bulky seams. I have to work on making my seams more managable, especially with traingles, you know how fat and ungainly those can get!!

Lastly, I worked on my Covert Robin gift. I tried the velvet and raw silk idea but it really wasn’t turning my crank (or DH’s for that matter) so I scrapped that project and moved on  with some Patricia Bravo fabric, photos to come…

I ordered labels from Lilla Lotta on Etsy, I discovered her through Red Pepper Quilts, will show and tell once they arrive.

Hello Spring!

20120319-032449.jpg

Urban 9 Patch Finished & Quilted

This was a fun block to make, I really enjoyed the process and the instructions were easy to follow. The Quick Curve Ruler works best with a regular 45″ rotary cutter with the straight handle.  I found the ergonomic handle rotary cutter didn’t work as well. My Bernina needs a good cleaning, my free motion quilting was a little rusty but I tried some new things , “l” loops on the outer turquoise fabric, spirals in the fuchsia tonal fabric and meandering daises in the middle.

Disregard the stitching in the corners, I’m going to rip that out and leave them clean. Click photos for close-ups.

Pez – pez – pez – red

After yesterday’s blockapalooza I decided I HAD to do something with all the blocks I’m making.

Pezzy goodness

So, I came up with this new cushion top. I have more pezzy goodness on the back burner but I’m out of time this weekend.

I’m not happy that I couldn’t settle down yesterday but all is not lost, I really honed my patchwork skills, something I needed to work on and I certainly learned some new tricks, always good.

Hope you were more productive than I was!

Thank you Alex!

Alex Veronelli of Aurifil fame posted my lucky ladybug cushion cover on his Facebook page and drove hundreds of visitors to my site today, it was very exciting, thank you Alex!

I managed to make a back for it and bind it, 13+ hours later here’s the finished project.

Alex, if you’re reading this, you’ll be happy to know that I ordered two more spools of Aurifil thread, I don’t want to run out!